28.8.07

Technical Difficulties


The DSL at my apartment is on the fritz and subsequently, my roommate now has a death wish out on att&t: imagine Charles Bronson, but in the body of a little Vietnamese gal. I'm sure we've all imagined that at some point in our lives. I know I have.

I kind of like the lack of internet access. It definitely makes me more productive. Well, except at work, when i'm catching up on all the blogging, shoe browsing, Facebook'ing and Youtube'ing that i was unable to do at home. But that is besides the point.

Yesterday evening when the Internet crapped out, I decided to make dinner on the stove as opposed to in the microwave. I sat and watched the news. I read a few Tobias Wolff short stories. Then I went to a gym on Stanford campus. I did more beneficial things for my brain and body in one evening than I've done in this entire month of august, I'm sure.

The downside? (because there's always a downside...) I left my Ipod in one of the treadmills in Arrillaga. I stuck it in the water bottle holder because I can't run without the ear buds fallling out so i usually just go without music. I got a nice 1/4 mile run in (in my defense, I had just spent 35 minutes on an elliptical; I'm not a complete lard-ass) and then I just peaced out. By the time I got home and noticed it was missing, the gym was already closed. I called this morning, but they did not have an Ipod that fit my description.

The Ipod itself is not the issue. I've had that thing since 2004 and it's scratched the hell up. Despite working well, the battery life sucked. The ear buds were always problematic and funny enough, ended up being the reason I am Ipod-less at the moment.

But, do you know what really devastates me?

I'm afraid that someone will out me as corny-ass music fan.

I love great, quality music. My inner hipster loves that I own mp3's of artists singing in languages that i don't know, erudite underground rappers, manic-depressive singer-songwriters, and 60s soul singers.

But sometimes life is a little too stressful or precarious. And sometimes you need a quick hit of musical crack that offers nothing more than a beat to step to or simple, catchy-ass melody.
Posted by: Sylvie - inzino staff

No comments:

Blog Archive